To see the full version of our newsletter, please click here.
This month we are celebrating TWO of our graduation candidates completing ONE YEAR of the program at Magdalene Serenity House. It has been a honor to walk alongside these incredible women as they HEAL and RECOVER. You can learn more about each of our graduation candidates below!
Celebrating one year at MSH makes me feel so thankful. I never dreamed of becoming a drug addict. Going through years of struggle and pain and missing out on so many things in life, but it happened. Throughout this year I have come to realize that addiction was writing my story, until I took the pen back. Now I will write my story and make my life a message of hope. As of today I have 1 year, 5 months, and 6 days sober and clean. To sustain my recovery I participate in the structured schedule that MSH provides me with. This schedule involves groups, self-care, fitness and wellness, individual therapy, and 12-step meetings. For me recovery takes commitment, time, and growth. I am so grateful for MSH for giving me time to learn, develop, and continue my recovery with their support. This past year I have dedicated myself to complete my 12-steps. I worked with my sponsor and took the time to work through the steps and now I am able to sponsor someone and be of service. I completed a 16-week work based program and gained the confidence to chase my dream job as a personal care aid and I now work doing just that. I have regained relationships with my family and having them in my life is such a motivation.
I have a future goal for me and my higher power to use what I have learned to spread hope. I want to take who I am, who I want to be, and what I can do and use it for a purpose greater than myself. To everyone who supported my journey at Magdalene Serenity House, thank you for believing in me. You all have taught me to never give up. I will continue to set goals and follow my dreams and have faith in my future, but above all myself!
I feel absolutely ecstatic to be celebrating one year at MSH! To say I have a new lease on life would be an understatement. I have new ownership! Empowered and humble. Grateful beyond any words to express. Celebrating one year feels surreal. I made a commitment and I accomplished it. I am a brand new me and so very thankful! On October 28th, I celebrated my one year of sobriety. MSH, my higher power, my children, and family have been the biggest factor in helping me sustain my sobriety. My biggest accomplishment this past year is my sobriety. My other accomplishments are reconciling with my father, my children, and my husband. Taking care of legal matters. Acquiring employment at an amazing job. Having my own transportation. Making new friends and having relationships that are healthy. Total lifestyle change and no more homelessness.
My future plans are to remain clean and sober. To eventually have my own place for me and my children and to continue to create a beautiful future for me and my family. I would like you all to know that you saved my life. I am dearly grateful and amazed by the love and it has given my soul a new found trust in mankind. Thank you, thank you, thank you! All my love!
We remain at full capacity and all of our residents are continuing to grow in their healing and recovery.
- One of our residents celebrated TWO YEARS of sobriety!
- One of our residents celebrated ONE YEAR of sobriety!
- One of our residents celebrated SIX MONTHS of sobriety. This is the longest she has ever been clean and sober.
- One of our residents completed her 12-steps and looks forward to sponsoring!
- Two of our residents presented their portfolios and moved into Phase Two!
This month we welcomed a new staff member to Magdalene Serenity House. We received a generous grant to help fund a much needed Resident Support position!
Hi! My name is Susana Sandoval, I am originally from Mexico, but have lived in the United States most of my life. I have been in Texas until recently when my family was relocated to NWA. My husband is a Sergeant First Class in the Army and has recently been stationed in Fayetteville as Station Commander. We have 2 boys and 2 dogs that we love dearly.
I have a Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice Corrections from West Texas A&M University, a Certificate in Latina Women Leadership Studies from Baptist University of the Americas, and a Masters in Social Work from West Texas A&M University. I have worked with various populations since coming into the field and have found that my heart is to work with women. I am passionate about empowering women and encouraging growth and self-love. Being at Magdalene Serenity House gives me the opportunity to teach our residents the tools and knowledge I have learned through the years to help our residents break generational cycles, grow, and achieve self-sufficiency.
Thank You Arvest Foundation
We were honored to receive a generous gift from The Arvest Foundation to support our work to break cycles of poverty, addiction, and incarceration for women. Thank you for helping Heal a Community!
We are looking for more transportation volunteers! Liz is on maternity leave and we will need more volunteer drivers to help with resident transportation to appointments and work. This is a great opportunity to get to know our residents and provide support on their healing journey! All residents and staff are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. We are requiring those who would like to volunteer also be vaccinated. Questions about volunteering? Email email@example.com.
We are THANKFUL & BLESSED
This Thanksgiving season, our residents, board and staff wish to express our deep appreciation toward our supporters for making a safe haven like Magdalene Serenity House possible. Together, we are HEALING A COMMUNITY.
There are numerous ways to continue to show the Magdalene Serenity House residents and graduates love and encouragement this holiday season:
1. Visit www.lovehealsnwa.org to make your one-time contribution or set up your monthly recurring contributions. Your donations have an immediate impact, EMPOWERING our women in their healing and recovery journeys.
2. Start your shopping from the Amazon Smile and designate a percentage of your dollars spent to MSH.
3. Purchase items from our Amazon Wish List that our residents and graduates currently need and have them shipped directly to us.
4. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
5. Help us spread the word about how we are Healing a Community! Host us to be a presenter at your company or community group.
- Sam Walton College of Business Admin Staff Group – hosted a drive to collect winter coats, scarves and hats and items needed.
- KNWA – featured our work on the Doing Good Series.
- City of Fayetteville – provided a Community Development Block Grant to provide peer support, crisis intervention, recovery services, workforce preparation, group facilitation, transportation, and connection with community services.
- AR Community Foundation – Fayetteville Area – arranged for their Women’s Philanthropy Club to visit and tour Magdalene Serenity House.